Northern Lights in Iceland
Are you visiting Iceland and want to see the famous northern lights? If you are visiting anytime between September to April there is a good chance you can spot the aurora.
There are plenty of areas you can have an opportunity to view the lights around Umi Hotel. There are a few key things that you need to keep in mind:
- The weather needs to be around few decrese but ideal around 0°c, clear sky (cloudy weather will not help).
- Check the aurora forecast here – Forecasts will help increase your chances of seeing the northern lights and avoid wasted long nights.
- Find area where there is minimal to none light pollution.
- The time when the aurora is most often active can be from 10:30PM to 2AM.
Umi hotel offers guests to sign up for a wake up call if the northern lights are spotted around the hotel. Talk to an employee at reception and easily sign up.
If you are a photographer and want to catch stunning northern lights photos with cool and unique background you can scout out these locations:
- Seljalandsfoss waterfall
- Skógafoss waterfall
- Kvernufoss waterfall
- Sólheimasandur (where the US Navy airplane wreckage is located)
- Dyrhólaey cliffs
- Reynisfjara beach
- Reynisdrangar sea cliffs
We hope this blog will be helpful during your trip in Iceland. Enjoy your stay and contact us if you have any questions: