UMI hotel is located by one of the most beautiful mountain range in the country. The hotel is only about 150 km away from Reykjavik and 2 km of the Ring road (Road NR. 1). Our location offers a strong connection to nature that allows our guests to experience the peace and quiet of the Icelandic countryside.
The hotel offers a first class restaurant with a unique view of the Westman Islands and the southern coastline, as well as a lounge bar with a view of the famous subglacial volcano Eyjafjallajökull and the beautiful mountain terrain surrounding it. Next to our hotel the river Svaðbælisá peacefully flows by. The starlit skies and northern lights certainly won’t let anyone down over the winter months.
The Hotel is non-smoking and open all year round
The Umi family
Umi Hotel is a family-run hotel. The hotel manager, Siggi, spent every summer on a farm close to the hotel when he was a teenager, where he would help with the farm animals and the harvest. He used all his spare time in climbing the surrounding mountains and exploring the south coast. After Siggi and his wife Frida had their children, Sandra and Solon, the family very often visited the area on weekends and eventually they ended up purchasing an abandoned farm and started renovating it during weekends. The renovation slowly took place but soon the family realized that they wanted others to enjoy the same peace and quiet of this area.
In the autumn of 2015 they started working on designing and building Umi hotel.
Breki is the family dog, he loves hanging around the hotel and meeting our guest. He is very kind and loving to everyone.
Sandra, the daughter of Siggi and Frida, is an interior and lighting designer. Her job was to design the interior and lighting for the hotel. The aim of her design was to create a welcoming and calming environment for the guests where they could relax after a busy day of exploring. The inspiration for materials and the color pallet of the hotel is drawn from the surrounding nature, the beautiful colors of the Icelandic autumn and shapes and textures from the Icelandic nature.
- The hotel is approximately 150 km from Reykjavík City
- 28 elegantly designed rooms
- Majestic view from the rooms either towards the subglacial volcano Eyjafjallajökul or towards the southern coast line.
- A restaurant with a view towards the ocean and the Westman islands.
- Complementary breakfast buffet
- Complementary internet
- Complementary parking
- Regional attractions: Eyjafjallajökul, Skógarfoss, Skógar cultural heritage museum, Seljalandsfoss, Dyrhólaey, Sólheimajökul, Vík í Mýrdal, Lava Volcano and Earthquake exhibition and many more.
- A fantastic place to use as a base while exploring Iceland’s vivid and stunning south coast.